Monday, December 4, 2017

Guimaras

I have long been wanting to cross out Guimaras on my list of "to be visited provinces".  It did not happen until Nov. 30, 2017.  Taking advantage of the holiday, I finally able to set foot on this tiny island province via Iloilo.  From Ortiz wharf in Iloilo city, I took  a very short boat ride of approximately 20 minutes to Jordan the capital town.  Just a bit of history, Guimaras was once a sub-province of Iloilo until it gained status as full-pledge province, May of 1992. 

Upon arrival at Jordan's wharf, I dropped by the tourism office (located within the wharf's compound) to register.  The staff were accommodating and helpful.  They gladly showcased what the province has to offer for visitors - that is inland and island tours.  I did not avail though of the tours offered and decided to go first to Cabugan Adventure Resort in Nueva Valencia where I stayed.   I asked advice on how to reach Nueva Valencia (one of the towns of Guimaras and where most resorts are located) and  commuting using public transportation was more practical. Hiring a private vehicle was far more expensive for alone traveler.
calm and green

Going to Nueva Valencia was easy.  Jeepneys that ply the route were stationed just outside the wharf's compound.  The driver did not wait for the jeepney to get fully loaded and left immediately but it made a complete stop at the market place to wait for more passengers.  After almost an hour on the road, I got off at crossing-lucmayan.  From this point, I need to ride a motorcycle to get to the jump-off of the resort at sitio Dungca-an in Brgy. Tando .  Road condition from Jordan to Nueva Valencia was not a problem.   It was cemented with some really nice view along the way.

All the while I thought that the resort was accessible by foot.  I was wrong. A small boat brought me to the resort through a narrow mangrove area before emerging into a lagoon and into a group of islands where the resort was located.  The resort location was a thumbs up for me.  I liked how it was nestled in an island with lush forestry and surrounded by calm waters.  The hut where I stayed was located on the other side of the island facing a lagoon with magnificent view of the sunrise and nearby islands.

one of the coves
I did not have an itinerary for the day but I had island hopping in mind.  Good thing, the resort offered an island hopping tour at a very affordable price.  I did not think twice and hopped at the boat and the next thing I know I was on our first stop.  I was keeping my expectation low but as I hopped from one stop to another I can't hide my amazement.  The islands, beaches, coves and some caves by the sea on that side of Guimaras were unassumingly beautiful.  It can actually compete with Caramoan and even El Nido and Coron but Guimaras has a charm of its own.  Another plus factor  was the absence of large crowds.  In fact,  most of the times I had the islands, coves, and caves all to myself.  What supposed to be a three-hour tour ended two hours longer.  It was already dim when we returned to the resort.

Aside from me, there were two other guests in the resort.  Basically, it was just the three of us and resort's staff on the island.  During the night, no other sound can be heard except that of birds and insects.  I stayed for while on a cabana by the lagoon just outside my hut to adore the full moon but fell asleep early upon hitting the bed maybe because it was so quite or maybe because I was tired from my island hopping.  I must admit though, that was one of the most peaceful night I ever had.       

clear water
It was time for me leave Guimaras the next day.  Before heading back to Jordan, Kuya Jojo, the boatman brought me to a nearby Tudyong cave.  From its entrance, the cave seemed small but upon entering I was surprised how huge it was.  It was a sanctuary to thousands of bats and there was also a water source inside.  We had not gone deep into its many chambers but kuya Jojo told me that it would take us more time to explore the entire cave.  That short time we had in the cave left me in admiration and Tudyong cave was just one of the many caves found in the island.  There was more to Guimaras aside from beautiful islands, beaches, coves and sweet mangoes!

One day was not enough to get around and have a taste of Guimaras.  I was not able to go on an inland tour.  I failed to have a taste of what Guimaras is known for -  the sweetest mangoes.  Sadly, it was not a season for mangoes.  I would definitely consider returning some other time because I still have good reasons to go back and there is more to Guimaras that I have yet to discover and experience.  
the stunning sunset

Sharing my travel notes below.

           


No comments:

Post a Comment