Monday, September 4, 2017

Kaparkan Falls

The intention of my visit to Abra is to cross out this province from my list of unvisited provinces.  It is a spur-of-the-moment decision taking advantage of the long weekend.  I've been wanting to go there many times so I gave it a go even without an itinerary.

After an 8 hours of travel from Manila, I found myself at the Partas bus terminal in Bangued, Abra.  It is still dark at 4 am so I stayed at the terminal and waited for daylight.  Thinking of what to do and where to go, I checked out google.  There are blogs narrating places of interest in the whole of Abra.  While reading, Kaparkan falls caught my interest.  Pictures of it seemed unbelievable, enough to satisfy my curiosity. I decided that I'm chasing it, however directions on how to get there is a challenge.

Tineg is the town where Kaparkan falls is located as mentioned in one of the blogs. I approached the security guard at the bus station to ask on how to get to Tineg.  Unfortunately, he had no idea but was certain how far Tineg from the capital Bangued is.  My next option is the tryk drivers stationed at the entrance of the terminal.  I asked one to drive me to the terminal where the jeepney plying Bangued-Tineg is.

  

water terraces
After a short drive, we reached not the jeepney terminal but actually a garage.  Upon inquiry with the owner/driver, I was informed that his jeepney is chartered by the tourism office of Bangued to bring tourists to Kaparkan falls that day.  He advised me to drop by the tourism office if I wanted to join the tour.


I went to the tourism office and inquire regarding the tour.  Dianne, one of the tourism officers accommodated me.  She gladly answered all my questions regarding the tour.  I learned that it is the tourism office who organizes tour to the falls usually on weekends.  I signed up and paid 800 pesos for the tour which covers the fare, tour guide and environmental fee. Food is not included.

It is already past 7 am when we left Bangued.  There are at least 25 of us stuck on the monster jeepney.  All are excited to see Kaparkan falls.  As I always prefer, I boarded on top of the jeepney which afforded me a very good view of the way.  It was a cloudy morning which dropped into a rain halfway of our destination.

enchanting cascade of water
The journey to the falls is a story of its own.  It took us almost 4 hours to reach the falls.  At first, I was enjoying atop the jeepney passing town after town.  The calvary started in Tineg when we branched out the cemented road and traversed the unpaved road leading to the falls.  The driver and his crew has to put chains around the tires of the jeepney which left me  wondering. Later on I realized how useful it is.  The way to the falls while scenic is in a very poor condition. We had to get off at some points and walk.  The rain made it even more challenging.

After enduring more than 4 hours of butt-numbing ride, we made it to our destination.  However, we had to trek for more or less 15 minutes to reach the falls.  After getting off the jeepney, I wasted no time and immediately started trekking.  The trek is easy. It's  all going down.  Nearing the falls, I can already hear the cascade of the water. It is so inviting!

Arriving at the falls, I can't hide my excitement.  Seeing the falls like how it looked  on photos is surreal.  My doubts are erased and I'm thankful I decided to chase it. Kaparkan falls is one of a kind.  It is enchanting!

choose your tub
After enjoying my lunch, I excitedly explore the falls.  The beauty of the falls is revealed to me more.  I was like a happy kid moving all around on a playground. The falls is just mesmerizing.  There is beauty every where I looked at - the water terraces, the trees covering it, the sound of its cascade. It is hard to believe that a place like that is existing.  It was worth the long and perilous journey.
  
After 2.5 hours at the falls, it is time for us to bid goodbye.  We had to leave while it was still bright.  Our stay maybe short but I enjoyed every minute of it.  Kaparkan falls is a must visit for those exploring Abra.  Simply breathtaking!


Interested in visiting Kaparkan Falls?  Contact information below might help you.

Tourism Office - Bangued, Abra
Dianne - 09277725856











No comments:

Post a Comment