Monday, September 19, 2016

Northern Escape: Batad

This is actually a trip long overdue.   I've been planning this a couple of times but couldn't get the right timing.  When a long weekend loomed, I packed my bag and head on to this UNESCO Heritage site and Ifugao's pride - Batad Rice Terraces.

After a brief but action packed visit of Maligcong, I boarded the 9 am jeepney the next day to Bontoc hoping to catch the 10:30 am van going to Banaue, Ifugao.  It was a Sunday, so I was expecting that transportation would be a challenge.  Apparently, it was not.  The van had just to wait a little longer for more passengers.  We left the terminal with only six of us on a 16 - seater van.  

It was past noon when I arrived in Banaue.  From where I got off, the jeepney bound for Batad was already in sight.  Upon inquiry, 3 pm was the scheduled time of its depart.  It would mean more than 2 hours waiting if I'm taking it.  A man approached me from no where ( I guess he heard my conversation with the driver) and offered a ride to Batad by his motorcycle.  Before I could ask how much would I pay for the fare, we were already on the road to Batad.  

as viewed from the registration site
Actually, my initial plan was to walk from Banaue to Batad.  I thought of it as part of my training for some running events.  However, it was a different story when I got to Banaue. It was high noon and the sun was in its mightiest.  Much as I wanted to walk, it was just too hot.  While riding the motorcycle, I was thankful I decided otherwise.  The road to Batad while cemented had much of elevation gain.  It would have surely left me catching breath while regretting under the intense heat of the sun.

After an hour, we arrived at the saddle - the end of the road.  From the saddle, a short walk had to be done to reach Batad village.  I actually liked the walk because it was under trees and as I progressed the beauty of Batad was gradually revealed.  It made me even more excited.   Until finally, I laid my eyes, my first glance on what I came for.  Before me, was the Ifugao's pride, a UNESCO heritage site, the amphitheater-like Batad rice terraces.  WOW was the only world that came out of my mouth.  I was standing with eyes glued at it for minutes.  It was fascinating in pictures but it was even more fascinating seeing it personally.  I was blown away by its beauty that I almost forgot I hadn't taken lunch.

Sir Vincent, a resident of Batad and a local guide approached me.  He helped me arranged my lodging and my activities for the afternoon.  He ushered me first to Rita's Mount View Inn where I had my lunch.  For my lodging, I told him that I want to stay on a native house they called the "no nail house".   He brought me to Ugay Lodge, a native house which had a good view of the terraces.

Batad Rice Terraces - UNESCO Heritage Site
After leaving my stuff at the native house, I began my activity for the afternoon.  Our first stop was the highest point where the entire rice terraces can be seen an obscured. With sir Vincent on the lead, we passed through some households and later on finding ourselves scaling the terraces.  I can't believe I was walking on it.  It was just surreal! Our trek continued until eventually reaching the view point.  The view was magnificent!   Basking on the mid-afternoon sunshine, the an obscured view of the rice terraces looking like a stairway was a sight to behold with the mountains surrounding, adding more beauty. 

From the view point, it was a steep descent to our next destination the Tappia Falls. While negotiating the terraces, I can't help but wonder how the indigenous people of Cordillera built it.  Surely, a lot of effort was put to carve such on the side of the mountain.  I wondered also how long it took them which according to sir Vincent, all was done without an aid of a machinery. The rice terraces aged 2000 years old, so by then it was primitive.  It was just amazing how they were able to adapt to the kind of environment they're living in.  

as viewed from the highest point
Tappia falls, was I think the lowest point in Batad.  Concrete steps were built for every tourist convenience.  Resting stations were present too.  Most tourists were already on their way back from the falls.  I encountered a couple on their nearly senior years.  They were having a hard time on the concrete steps going up.  The trek to the falls is not for the faint-hearted.  It will have your sweat glands working and your heart pounding. However, as they always say challenging journey always lead to a beautiful destination. And this is so true with Tappia Falls!  

Hearing the cascade of the water signaled that we're almost there.  True enough, after a couple of steps, I saw a surging and plunging water from a mountain.   We are at our final stop, the Tappia falls.  No more tourist hanging but us.  We stayed for a couple of minutes to savor the moment and regain strength.  Had we arrived earlier I would have taken a dip, however, the water was already freezing cold. I had to be contented watching its waters thundering down.   

Going back was a challenge.  Negotiating the steep concrete steps going up to the rice terraces was tiring!  I just thought of it as part of my training to get the motivation. Slowly, we made it to the top and back at my lodge.  I rested for a while and had myself freshen up before  getting ready for my dinner.  A local, offered a massage which I gladly accepted.  For days that I was exploring the highlands, receiving a foot massage felt so relaxing.  I fell asleep right after.
Tappia Falls

The sun was up when I woke up the next day.  When I opened the window of the lodge,  I was mesmerized of how the morning sunshine made the terraces even more adorable.  I could stare at the scenery all day, but I had to go.  After I had my breakfast, I bid goodbye to sir Vincent and head my way back to the saddle to catch the 9 am jeepney bound for Banaue.  

While on the road top loading , I couldn't contain the happiness I felt.  The three-day adventure from Maligcong to Batad was a journey I couldn't forget.  I felt lucky that I had the opportunity to visit these must visit places.  Others do not know what they are missing!  The long ride from Manila maybe butt-numbing, however, upon reaching these places I forgot the ordeal.  It was all worth it!  I wouldn't mind going back in the near future.  Perhaps I would venture up the popular Mt. Amuyao or trek to the other villages or simply relax and let the time pass by while I'm in sync with nature.
the "no nail house"
  
Travel Notes: Batad
Actual Expenses
Sept. 11, 2016
1100Departed Bontoc150
1230Arrived Banaue
1240
Left Banaue (via motorcycle)
250
1330Saddle
1350Batad village
Ate lunch115
1430
Trekked to Batad's higherst point & Tappia Falls
500
1700Back at the lodge.
1830Dinner145
1930Massage200
1030Lights off
Sept. 12, 2016
0700Wake up
0800Left the lodge200
0900Left the saddle for Banaue (jeep)150
1000Arrived Banaue
Ate Lunch (Sanafe Lodge & Resto)300
Free time
1900Left Banaue for Manila445
TOTAL2,455
           
Notes:

1.  No ATMs in Batad village.
2.  There are a number of homestays and accommodation will never be a problem even without reservation.
3.  Public jeepney to Batad from Banue departs at 3 pm. while from Batad to Banaue departs 9 am.
4.  Motorcycles, jeepneys and vans can also be rented in going to Batad from Banaue.  
5.  Ohayami and CODA line buses ply the Manila-Banaue route. On line ticket reservation are available.



                

No comments:

Post a Comment