Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Salomon Trail Run 2015. A sweet revenge.

Joining the event last year was a humbling experience for me.  I experienced my first ever DNF in running.  I was able to finish the 32K run though, but 30 minutes beyond the 7 hours cut-off time. While on our way home that day, I tried to think what have gone wrong. In my mind, I had two things.  

First.  I lacked the right amount of training.   Honestly, I was just banking on my mountaineering experience and a number of road runs.  I was new to the sport having joined a single event.   It was finishing the Love a Tree Trail Run 2014, under 32K distance category, that gave me the confidence to register for Salomon Trail Run 2014.  I was so wrong into thinking that because I was able to finish the former, I will also be able to finish within the cut-off time the latter.   I failed to consider that each event is unique and has its own level of difficulty.  Prior to the event, I was only doing jogs (not even consistent) on flat and cement roads when what is better is to actually train on trails.  


the elusive medal

Second.  I failed to study the event, location, and the trail.  Come race day, I was clueless of what to expect trail-wise.  I was again so wrong into thinking that the trail would be just like my first trail run.  I was caught off-guard of the series of steep ascents and descents.  I was not prepared for the intense heat.  I was not expecting to run on the sand.  All these, I could have prepared myself have I done a research.  It was only after, that I learned that it was already the second staging of the event on the same location (Hamilo Coast, Nasugbu) and that Salomon trail run is known and has a reputation of giving its runners a hard challenge, that Salomon trail run is not a walk in the park.

Realizing all these, somehow eased my mind.  DNF happens.  A runner should not be discouraged but be motivated to train harder.  It was for me a learning experience.   I promised to come back this year more prepared and ready to take on the challenge.   

This year, the event was held on a new location at the Anvaya Cove, Morong, Bataan.  Again, the event was well attended with many of the elite Filipino trail runners present.  I was also happy to see some of my friends in running and mountaineering joining the event.  Some, their first time.  


friend Rosalyn, Adrian,& Javee                     (c) Javee

Trail-wise.  If I have to compare, the trail of Anvaya Cove was less challenging than that of Hamilo Coast.  Runners would not end up whining about a series of steep ascents and descents because the Anvaya trail was mild on it.  The numerous river crossings was annoying though but a relief when we started to feel the intense heat of the sun.  The 3 kilometers shoreline was another annoying part of the trail.  How can someone run with speed on rocks and boulders and sand.  But it is part of the Salamon challenge that runners have to endure.  This is not to underestimate, but if I have to rate the Anvaya trail from the scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, I would give 7.  It is still challenging especially for runners who came unprepared.   However, as compared last year, this year's percentage of finisher was high.


                  reaching the finish line          (c) RP


As usual I stated slow.   Normally I recover from sore legs after about 5 kilometers of running.  However, last Saturday it lingered for a while.  It was only after 8 kilometers that sore legs was gone.  Recovering, my pacing improved catching up with some runners.  The first few kilometers of the trail was a combination of cement road, dirt road, and farmlands.  My game plan was to spent at least 11 minutes per kilometer so that I still have a buffer of 1 hour.  After 2 hours of running,  I have covered more or less 15 kilometers of the route and was averaging 8 minutes per kilometer.  I was pretty well on my game plan.  During the first two river crossings, I was removing my trail shoes.  I was afraid that I might get leg cramps and blisters while running on wet shoes.  However, later on I found it time consuming and decided not to remove it anymore.  Thank God! No blisters nor leg cramps the entire run. 

After 4 hours of running, I was down to the last 8 kilometers of the route.  The 3 kilometers of this was a shoreline.   This was the part of the trail where I spent much time.  I can hardly ran on rocks, boulders, and sand. I think I spent almost an hour on this part.  It was big relief when I was able to get to the other end of the shoreline, a kilometer away from the finish line.  Exhausted, I still managed to run on a very slow pacing.  After a total of 5 hours and 40 minutes of running I  reached the end of the route.  I felt redemption.  


What have I done right to finish the run within the cut-off time this time around?  Well, I trained not just on road but on trail as well.  I study the route through available information online though no actual recon.  I devised a game plan and followed it.  Lastly, I was determined on my goal to finish it.

Congratulations to all finishers especially to all my friends.  I'd like to thank and acknowledge some dear friends, my fellow codErunners Adrian and Rosalyn who trained with me.  Lastly, thank you to the people behind Salomon Trail Run 2015 for another challenging trail running event. Until next year!


my running and mountaineering friends                                   (c) Ella


           

No comments:

Post a Comment